Monday, September 14, 2009

What is Podcasting???

What is Podcasting?
Honestly speaking, I have almost no clue what it is. We are in a day and age where technology is used in everyday life. Children as young as 2 years old, are using the internet and ipods. I am interested in knowing what it is and what its used for but I do have to do some research.....

After reading a bit on what a podcast is and what its used for, I have concluded that a podcast is a group of digital files that are downloaded through the internet. Also, this I didnt know, the most common form of podcast is the MP3. I was amazed by this, only because those are the files you (I) use to download music. This made me feel like I was not as technologically challanged as I thought.

I would like to become even more familiar with podcasting. I would like to be able to incorporate technology in my lessons as a teacher, especially since children know so much about technology. I want to be able to grasp the attention of my students by using other methods of teaching.
I want to know what else you might be able to do with podcasting, other than downloading music and media files.

I dont want to be negative but I do feel that using such advanced technology in the classroom might take away from beneficial "old school" methods. I may or may not be wrong. But I feel that it might take too much time away from learning other materials because you as a teacher are spending so much time trying to find a way to incorporate this into your lesson.

In any event, I am very excited about working with podcast systems in my college class.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting.

    After this semester, you will know much more about podcasting.

    I understand when you say, "I dont want to be negative but I do feel that using such advanced technology in the classroom might take away from beneficial "old school" methods. ...But I feel that it might take too much time away from learning other materials because you as a teacher are spending so much time trying to find a way to incorporate this into your lesson." This can be true, but if you learn how to use podcasting in your lessons, it can enhance them. Yes, students may need to read traditionally and be able to read to you as a teacher. But think about the benefits of podcasting the stories they read or their reflections of the stories. They can share information with parents, friends in other classes, and all over the world! Also, imagine being a nine-year old and beign able to record your voice and practice your reading at the same time. Motivating?

    With that said, I will let you make your own decision. Podcasting is a tool. It should be used to meet the learning objectives. I hope you get to see how it can be done successfully.

    =)
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete